Monday, December 1, 2008
Cheap Chick!!
Well I never thought I would do it but I have secumbed to using coupons. Honestly maybe it is out of boredom or it's just a challenge ( I needed something to do! ) but I have become the ultimate saver! Seriously on average I save $20-$50 a WEEK just by using coupons, watching sales, and buying at the right time. I picked up a lot of ideas from "The Grocery Game" and of course the girl who started it all about 20 years ago my friend Sarah. I now am at a point where grocery shopping is a game and I stock up on items that I know now to be at the lowest price they will be. Take for instance a recent deal I got. Toothpaste-- seems easy enough right? Well most people get it when the tube is almost out. I planned ahead! Colgate was on sale at Target for $3.20 ( down from $3.49). then I had a $1 off coupon for Target and a $1 off manufactuer's coupon so... do the math and voila toothpaste for $1.20! That's $2.29 in savings! It adds up quickly believe me. Every single week I scan the sales and the coupons for items. Then I make my lists for various places and off we go to save money! It's not that we are desparate to save money it is more like I know better. Having worked for retailers for over 10 years and knowing what "markups" and "discounts" really do to a business-- I feel that we are doing them a favor by taking advantage of the sale prices. Stores put items on sale to drive people into the store. If those items don't sell then there is no concrete proof that promotions even work-- thus it is back to the drwaing board for the Marketing team. I'm trying to help the economy is all.... oh and challenge myself to save money... now where did that 30 cents off of 10 cans of Green Giant vegtables go?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
YOu must teach me how to do this. I use coupons but am not good at all the savings. There are people that pay like $30 for $100 worth of groceries....I don't get it!
Post a Comment